Mr. Raimund practices in all aspects of intellectual property law, including patent and trademark prosecution and ex parte and inter partes patent proceedings, including patent reexamination and interference proceedings.
Mr. Raimund has prepared and prosecuted hundreds of patent applications in a variety of technological fields including chemicals, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, semiconductors, semiconductor processing, software and biotechnology. Mr. Raimund has also drafted numerous patent opinions, including patentability, non-infringement, and freedom-to-operate opinions. Mr. Raimund has also worked extensively on patent reexamination proceedings, both ex parte and inter partes, and has been involved in a number of patent interference proceedings.
- Successfully obtained allowance of a commercially important patent application for a client in the power and environmental engineering industry.
- Successfully conducted an oral hearing before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) in an appeal of claims finally rejected by the examiner in a complex biotechnology application.
- Successfully argued the appeal of claims finally rejected by the examiner in an inter partes reexamination proceeding before the Board of Patent Appeals and argued to resulting appeal before the Court of Appeals of the Federal Circuit (CAFC)
- Successfully concluded two ex parte reexamination proceedings for a major supplier of photoresists for the semiconductor industry.
- Recently obtained a number of commercially important patents for a compound semiconductor manufacturer.
Prior to joining Maier & Maier, Mr. Raimund was a Partner in the Washington, D.C. office of a general practice law firm. Before entering private practice in July 2000, Mr. Raimund was a patent examiner at the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office for over 9 years, serving as a Primary Patent Examiner for the last 5 years of his tenure. As an examiner, Mr. Raimund examined patent applications in the chemical arts (Tech Center 1700), predominantly in the composite materials, adhesive bonding, coatings, plastic shaping, textiles, and synthetic resin technology areas. While an Examiner, Mr. Raimund issued over 500 patents.
Prior to working at the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, Mr. Raimund worked as a development engineer for Lord Corporation of Erie, Pennsylvania. While at Lord Corporation, Mr. Raimund developed flexible matrix composite materials and processes for manufacturing these materials as well as elastomer formulations for various end use applications.
- J.D. George Washington University
- M.S. Materials Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- B.S. Materials Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Commonwealth of Virginia
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- District of Columbia